When you have made your choices we will give you a written estimate of the cost. If, at this stage, you would like to change anything we will help you do this. Any changes you make may affect the cost of the funeral.
The cost of the funeral is made up of the following:
- Professional services including appropriate advice and support, liaison with third parties and personnel required to arrange the funeral.
- Supplementary charges including bringing the deceased into our care, presentation of the deceased and provision of a hearse.
- The cost of the coffin or casket.
- Additional charges such as limousines, additional millage and cremation casket.
- Payments made on your behalf, known as disbursements. These include doctor's fee, cremation fee etc. We kindly ask for payment for these at the time of making the funeral arrangements.
Costs of a funeral are defined as a debt against the estate so you may be able to arrange for the funeral to be paid by the estate rather than paying this amount yourself. For free legal advice and support on how to proceed, please call our legal experts on 0800 602 1477. This service is provided by The Midcounties Co-operative Legal Services.
If you require other services and need advice please don't hesitate to ask.
We will give you a courtesy call before the funeral to confirm all the details and answer any final questions that you may have. However, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time should you need assistance.
Paying for the funeral
You will receive your invoice within 14 days of the funeral. If there is any part of the invoice you do not understand or agree with, please contact our funeral home who will be happy to help.
The invoice may be paid in person at our funeral home or at any bank or post office, or by post. You can pay with cash, by cheque or with a debit or credit card. If you wish the invoice to be referred to a solicitor, please advise us as soon as possible to ensure that this information is added to our records. However, you remain responsible for the account being paid in accordance with our terms and conditions.
Meeting the costs
If you think you cannot meet the costs of the funeral, you should discuss this with us at the time of arrangement. We have information on who may be eligible for the Social Fund and how to make a claim. Payment can only be authorised by the Department of Social Security (DWP) who will also decide the amount of payment. If you do not qualify for payment we may be able to advise on other forms of assistance. Please remember that you are personally liable for any amount in excess of the agreed payment by the Department of Social Security (DWP), or indeed the whole invoice amount if a payment is not received.